I’ve become a real fan of Steviva products. I’m able to skip all the added sugar and use this low calorie, low carb, low glycemic, gluten free, all natural sugar substitute to sweeten my desserts and cure my sweet tooth without all the guilt. I use to eat apple pie growing up as a kid and this time of year I’m always bitten by the nostalgia bug which urges me to make food that takes me back to childhood memories. Only I made a twist on a classic favorite by making “Skinny Apple Hand Pies.”
- 1 box of two Pillsbury Pie Crust
- 1 Granny Smith Apple
- 1 Red Apple
- 2 tsp of Cinnamon
- 3 tsp Fresh Squeezed Lemon
- 2 tbsp of Unsweetened Apple Sauce
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp of Earth Balance Butter (use real if you want)
- 1/4 cup of Steviva Blend
- 1 Egg (beaten)
- Sea Salt (for sanding)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roll out your pie crust and use a small kitchen cutter or a coffee mug and cut out circles in your pie crust, then set aside.
- Dice your apples.
- Add your diced apples, cinnamon, apple sauce, lemon, and pinch of salt to a bowl and mix well.
- In a saute pan on med-high heat melt your butter and stir in your apple mixture.
- Add your Steviva Blend stirring and bring down to a simmer constantly stirring until everything is melted and carmelized in appearance for 4-6 minutes. You want your apples to be soft but still have texture.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Take your pie crust cut outs and spoon some of your apple mixture in the center.
- Top with another cut out pressing into each other to completely cover the apples and use a fork to crimp the edges all the way around to seal it.
- You an use a knife to cut an x in the top of the hand pies.
- Brush your hand pies with your egg wash and sprinkle the tops with sea salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until is bubbling and the tops are golden brown.
- Allow to cool and you can serve with a scoop of Halo Ice Cream and a drizzle of Nectevia across the top.
Use a round kitchen cutter or a coffee mug and create circle cut outs in your pie crust. They’re perfect portion size and can even be eaten on the go.
Then dice your apples and stir in your cinnamon, applesauce, lemon, and salt mixing well in a bowl. Then add to a saute pan with your melted butter stirring constantly and add your STEVIVA BLEND stirring until melted and mixed well. Set aside and allow to cool.
Now spoon your apple mixture into the center of your dough crust. Top with another piece of dough pressing into the bottom piece covering your apples. Use a fork to crimp all the way around the outer edges of the hand pies to seal them completely.
Then cut a small x in the top of the hand pies, brush with egg wash, and sand with sea salt. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat and bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes until bubbling out and golden brown.
Allow to cool and eat by itself or serve with an healthy option ice cream. Thanks Steviva!!!! I can feel good about indulging!
STEVIVA PRODUCT INFO & DISCOUNTS BELOW:
If you want to take advantage of a 20% off discount to try out Steviva products you can shop here and use the discount code Thank You at checkout!