I can honestly say I’ve never met a person who doesn’t like BBQ or BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches. Or at least I’ve never heard a person from the South speak those words. I’d be like, say what? What planet are you from? Because that would just be so un-Southern of them. I personally love BBQ! And I had a craving for some so I purchased a Boston Butt to make this perfect BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich recipe.
Honestly, its one of the easiest way to make pulled pork. There are a couple of steps involved but super duper easy steps that in the end creates the best pulled pork.
You simply brine your meat for 24 hours in water and salt. Then pat dry and cover it with a homemade rub ( salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, and brown sugar) place in your roasting pan and pop in the oven to slow cook. It’s so easy its nearly mindless and it produces perfect pork that is tender and falling apart.
To make the perfect BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwich just pile a generous amount of pulled pork onto a brioche bun and drizzle with your favorite BBQ sauce or homemade BBQ sauce.
Ooh la la. Its seriously so good! I ended up eating two sandwiches but who’s counting. 🙂
- 7-10 lb Boston Butt (cooking time will vary based on weight)
- BOSTUN BUTT RUB
- 1tbsp of Salt
- 1tbsp of Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp of Cumin
- 1tbsp of Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp of Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp of Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp of Cayenne Pepper
- 1tbsp of Paprika
- 1/2 cup of Brown Sugar
- Roasting Pan
- Meat Thermometer
- BRINE MIXTURE
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp dry rub mix
- Take your Boston Butt and place in a deep pan or a heavy duty ziploc bag. Cover with water and your brine mixture above and seal tightly or cover tightly with foil.
- Then refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Pre-heat your oven to 225 degrees.
- After brining your Boston Butt remove from the fridge and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cover your Boston Butt with your dry rub and place in a roasting pan with the fat layer facing up.
- Place in the oven and allow it to cook until the meat has reached 200 degrees. I put mine in at 4am and removed it 3pm.
- Use a meat thermometer to test the temperature of the meat by placing the thermometer into the center of the meat.
- Then turn off the oven and allow to sit for 30 minutes to an hour in the oven.
- Remove the pork butt and remove the top layer of fat from the top.
- Then using two large forks begin pulling the meat apart.
- Now serve mounds of shredded pork with your buns and BBQ sauce.
- Now keep in mind timing because to slow cook your Boston Butt its going to take somewhere between 9-12 hours depending on the weight of your Boston Butt.
- It usually takes between 1.5 to 2 hours per pound to cook. This is where your meat thermometer comes in handy to get that perfect 200 degree center temperature.
- PLEASE EAT RESPONSIBLY 🙂 - recipes are meant to be copied, altered, substituted or tweaked to your tasting and liking, so f you don't like an ingredient or allergic to an ingredient then omit it and/or add a different ingredient.
- - If your concerned with the chemicals, toxins, dyes, pesticides, GMOs, hormones, antibiotics, rBGH, rBST, and all of the other scary ingredients out there please focus on buying organic meats, produce, and products from your local grocery store or support your local farmers and purchase from farmers markets.